Friday 21 October 2011

Do expired products still work?

So I have this product called 'Sun Silk Summer Care leave-in sun protection spray' that I found in the back of my beauty closet* today and decided to use because I knew I would be outside all day.. the thing is.. its at least 7 years old.. maybe more! :S (I cant even find the expiry date on the bottle, so I don't even know how many years its been expired for)
So my question to you (and i'm actually extremely curious what you think) is do expired products still work??
My experience with the product was really pleasant (provided it wasn't secretly killing my hair because it's so old) as it smells awesome - like coconuts - and it had the exact effect of a good sea salt spray. It left my hair in its natural wavy state, minus the frizz and gave it amazing texture and insane volume.


             Here it is! Except mines so old that it has a big 'NEW' label on it!

The purpose of this product (if you haven't guessed already) is to protect your hair from the sun, salt water and chlorine and its infused with coconut milk and UV filter to make this possible.. they encourage you to use it before going swimming to act as a barrier against the harsh chlorine/salt water, but you can also use it afterwards for the nourishing and hydrating effects.

  And heres my hair after using the product! Sorry about the crap quality.. it's quite difficult to take a good picture of the back of your own head :S but you get the point.. doesn't look too awful, right??

So EveryoneLovesBeauty Beauties..
                                                Do you ever use expired products?
                                                Do you think they might still offer the benefits that they once did?
                                                Do you think something this old could actually be bad for my hair?!

*Everyone has a beauty closet, right?! You know.. full of products that you haven't ever finished/ used more then once or twice and you know that if you really set out to finish them then you could prob get through them in 6 months or so.. Except that you never do, because new, exciting products come along that have top priority.. but then they will probably end up in there as well.. anyways hence a closet - or at least a very big shelf - full of skin care/ hair care/ make up products..  wow.. really hope im not the only one!! haha :S

-Kathy xx

3 comments:

  1. I have probably been guilty of a similar sin, but I try not to hold on to something for too long because you never know how the composition might have changed, and might be doing more harm than good!

    I think haircare products are probably a *bit* safer than say, cosmetics or skincare, but my general rule of thumb is, if it smells, looks or feels a bit funny, it goes straight in the bin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree! I don't use expired skin care products if i can help it.. especially not around my eyes.. but hair prods wouldn't be so bad, right? :S it probably doesn't have the same UV protection i'll admit.. but it smells soooo good!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's probably all right, then! ;)

    PS - Your hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete