Thursday 10 November 2011

A touch of glitter... Part 1

Hello lovelies,

Today I have a new Nail of the Day (NOTD) to show you! As you may have surmised, it incorporates the use of a new fad, glitter polish. Just to let you all know, I am updating from my mobile, which tends to send the uploaded photos a bit crazy, but I will fix that up when I get home!

Now, glitter has it's pro's and con's; it adds a touch of glitz to any manicure, can instantly glam up a plain outfit and somehow looks perfect for a festive occasion...but if you're not careful, you can come across as an errant schoolgirl who has gone a bit too crazy with the sparkly stuff. Not to mention, glitter polish can also be really hard to remove, and you can end up with glitter everywhere (i.e. all over your hands, couch, and any old thing you happen to touch afterwards, which would be pretty much everything).

Anyhow, I can't get enough of the sparkly stuff, and love coming up with a variety of ways of incorporating it into my DIY manicures. It's my birthday today, and I decided to celebrate by adding a touch of glitter to my manicure! I wanted something a little more low-key, since it IS a week day and I will be at work for most of it. While I have a fairly casual office, I didn't want to rock up to work with a whole lot of bling on my hands, so I created this look!

Basically I painted my nails with base coat, then topped up with two layers of Rimmel Black Cherries, which is a lovely dark plum-brown. I then painted on a glitter gradient tip on each finger using Nyx Glitter Girls Dorothy, a clear top coat which contains red hexagonal glitter and microglitter particles. I'm not really sure why, but I'm completely in love with Dorothy, it's such a gorgeous little polish.

Anyhow, I waited for it to dry, added a layer of OPI quick dry topcoat and finished off with OPI Drip Dry Drops (have you tried these drops? They're amazing, a product I never let myself run out of ever), and VOILA! All done!

What do you think? I really like it for a subtle effect, it's almost not noticeable except when I move my hands, and then you see a subtle red shimmer along the tips. I think it's really pretty and cannot wait to experiment with more glitter polish/manicure options!


Much love,
MM.
x

3 comments:

  1. This looks so great!! I love the two colours together and the subtle effect of the glitter! and happy birthday for yesterday! I hope you had an amazing day :)
    -kathy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. and are they your real nails?? they always look so unbelievably long and healthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so much prettier in real life! For some reason, photos just don't do it justice!

    Thank you! :)

    Yep, they are my real nails...I have a long nail bed so they always look a bit longer than they really are.

    ReplyDelete